This just in from one of our regular stringers in the Chicago office of MyUrbanKvetch affiliates, OSRUI, a Regional URJ Camp, is sponsoring a Shabbat opportunity for people (singles and interfaith couples ages 25-40) who want to explore Judaism in a supportive environment. The program, known as Jewish Discovery Shabbat running from May 2-3 begins with Shabbat dinner and ends with havdalah, with discussion in the middle on subjects such as:
- The Gist of Judaism – What’s It All About??
- Making it Work as an Interfaith Couple
- How Rituals Create Meaning in Our Lives
- An Open Conversation About God
- Judaism and the Environment
In addition, you'll have the opportunity to sample all that OSRUI has to offer, including our fabulous sports center, outdoor tennis and basketball courts, and the scenic grounds. Jewish Discovery Shabbat will be led by Rabbi Leora Kaye, Rabbi John Linder, and Julie Webb.
(description from OSRUI)
Leah Jones is totally jazzed about it:
Things I love about this Shabbat opportunity.
1. It's for people who have converted, might convert, non-Jews want to know more about being Jewish, Jews who want to know more about being Jewish, interfaith couples and intrafaith couples... All who fall into the 24-40 age range.
2. It's just one night. For people who are used to heading up to OSRUI this seems much too short, but for people who have never gone on a Jewish retreat (or never went to camp growing up) one night is just the right length.